Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Over it

Last week I finished my master's degree and my 20's, two things I had been working on for quite some time (3 years and 10 years, respectively). It felt good to finish both. It has been a moment of a lot of change in my life, and yet things are still very much the same. It has cause me to spend quite a bit of time reflecting, and as usual, that reflection has incited a lot of gratitude.

There were a few things I would have liked to accomplish in my twenties that I didn't, but that just means that I have a lot to look forward to in my thirties. I'd love to climb the Matterhorn and the Grand Teton. I'm looking forward to paying off my student loans and saving for more meaningful projects. I long with anxious anticipation for the day I will get married, have kids, and show my family the world and the the wonders of the great outdoors, and teach them about its creator. I'd also really like to learn German this decade and maybe some other language if that goes well.

A little farther down my list I'd also add trekking to Everest Base Camp and breaking a 2:00 half marathon time, but those are just icing on the cake kind of dreams.

I had a really awesome thirtieth birthday. Probably my best birthday ever. I don't remember the last time I felt so loved and cared for by so many people at the same time. It was a great way to kick off a new decade.

As I look forward with some excitement and some anxiety, I can't help but look back, as well. If things fall into place in the same beautiful, surprising way things did in my twenties, I have a lot to look forward to. In moments like this a line from a favorite hymn often comes to mind: We doubt not the Lord nor his goodness. We've proved Him in days that are past.

With so many good days behind me, I think it's normal to expect many more ahead.


8 comments:

Anna K. said...

Hooray!! Happy late birthday!! You have done so many cool things in your life...and I know you will accomplish so many more cool things! You are an inspiration! That is fun you were able to see Mates of State. I would love to see them again! I miss you!

Amy Nicoll said...

You are one of my favorites. 30s are going to be good to you.

Amy Nicoll said...

ps- I can totally get you to a 2 hour half! Pshaw!

Laurie said...

Joyeux anniversaire Nicki! Merci pour ton commentaire sur mon blog. Je suis contente d'avoir trouvé le tien. J'espère que tu le mettras à jour régulièrement. :x

martinetdm said...

Hi Nicky!!
I wish you a very very late happy birthday !!!
Hope you'll have a decade as good as the past one!

I wish I'll see you soon!

All the best!

Martine

Admin said...

Hey, where are you? Are you trekking through beautiful mountains in Switzerland? I sort of have been living vicariously through you so you need to update your blog.

Carrie H said...

PS... That above comment was me.

Tali Nay said...

This post is lovely. Why on earth are there no posts since? Although I could just as easily ask myself why it's only now that I'm getting around to reading it? And I'm sorry I stole your luck today...sort of sorry but not really.